a particular day

October 16, 2006

Elder Beerman logo(rot)

On the main drag in Hamilton, OH

I forgot all about Elder Beerman for the most part. The department store from my youth closed their doors in the Cincinnati area a good while ago and that was just par for the course—these places were always changing names.

But I was wrong. Elder Beerman is still alive in Dayton (and other areas around the midwest).

Bought in 2003 by Bon-Ton, they haven't yet succumbed to changing the lovely script signage on the outside of the box stores to the new crappy family look.

poo

Filed in: Design |

« The day before | The Last 10 | The day after »

Comments

A hexagon made of hexagons with the centre missing is far from a unique identity - Manor, Elder-Beerman, and I bet 100 other companies out there.

Anyway, the new typeface used is horrid.

Posted by: Benn | Oct 15, 2011 4:19:08 PM

Oh my! I must admit that I was in Middletown...for whatever reason...on Wednesday and they still have an Elder Beerman too. I do believe they also have one at the Lima Mall. Yikes. The last time I shopped in there I'm fairly certain I had VERY BIG HAIR.

Posted by: Kate | Oct 20, 2006 9:44:20 AM

I feel ya on the honeycomb Heather. One would think such a perfect design from nature would play out well in the graphic world.

Drew, I drive through Hamilton almost every day of the week now. It's kinda quaint, I like it!.

Lastly, HI Babs!

Posted by: Chris Glass | Oct 17, 2006 11:25:49 PM

Find an old Shillitos sign and I'll worship you from afar... Oh, who am I kidding, I already do!

Posted by: Barb Abney | Oct 17, 2006 11:21:51 PM

I've always been a fan of nature-design, including honeycomb/polygon patterns, but haven't found a place where they absolutely work (in my own design). I don't think this particular usage works, either.

I also kind of wonder about the marketing choice to name the store "Elder-Beerman" - as it sounds like 'this is where the mullet guys' grandparents shop.' Or maybe I'm dating myself!

Posted by: Heather | Oct 17, 2006 6:53:40 PM

i am more concerned about why you were in hamilton. haha.

Posted by: D R E W | Oct 17, 2006 1:42:13 PM

You should have a look to the website of that switzerland based shop named Manor (http://www.manor.ch/). Don't know if those that designed the logo had seen it before or if it's just a hasard...

Posted by: pierre | Oct 17, 2006 11:10:00 AM

I think you're dating both of us Ted. I remember El-Be shoes, but I don't think they exist anymore.

And Byron, I never have heard of Carson Pirie Scott, and I must admit - I have no idea how to pronounce that name. So complicated!

Posted by: Chris Glass | Oct 17, 2006 10:21:50 AM

Ooh, Carson Pirie Scott. Brings back great memories of using mom's charge card at their flagship store in downtown Chicago.

Posted by: byron | Oct 17, 2006 9:43:04 AM

Gee. That brings back memories. And aren't there still El-Be shoes around? Or am I really dating myself?

Posted by: ted | Oct 17, 2006 1:18:13 AM

See the last 10 days, or explore other parts of my site...

home | favorites | travel | photos | timeline | links | feeds | about | contact