Efficiency


So I’m learning about making sites easier to build… with Server Side Includes. Such a simple concept, but what a difference it makes. We’ve built them a long time at the office, but I’ve never really sat down and tried to integrate them by myself.

It took a big site built in DreamWeaver to make me rethink my ways. Dreamweaver has this nifty “Library” feature, which, although neat at first, becomes an unwieldly, slow, simplified “Find and Replace,” and when you have a big site, making one little change to that Library Item updates every page… very slowly.

The upside: DreamWeaver recognizes “includes” and displays them in the visual editor, so you can still get a sense of the page.

Regardless, I’ve got it down pat. Maybe I’ll lose the frames on my personal site one o these days… hmmmm.