a particular day

October 10, 2008

Halloween, 1982

A scene from my youth

My brother dug up this photo the other day, and man it pulls on the strings of my nostalgic heart.

That's an 11-year-old me over there on the right, as the world's tallest E.T.

My mom's looking on from the backdoor of our old house.

See, I was entirely obsessed with Spielberg's movie after it was released that summer.

I ate Reeses Pieces even though they were an incredibly putrid candy. I knew the day JC Penney would have plush E.T. dolls on sale (and this was before the internet). And I begged my mom to make this costume.

I bet she had to customize that McCall's pattern no. 8311 somethin' fierce to get it to fit me.

It's been a while since I've said it, but mom you've got to know I love you.

For every stitch and every moment.

Thank you for making me feel right at home on this planet.

Filed in: Family |

« The day before | The Last 10 | The day after »

Comments

My Dad took me to see "E.T." in the theater when it came out. That was a million years ago. After my nephew saw it, he was obsessed. Remember the E.T. plastic toys? He had every one. They looked like globs of brown grease with eyeballs.

Posted by: Laurie Fields | Nov 22, 2011 9:46:19 AM

I just recently re-watched it. Who wasn't blown away by this as a kid? I wish I was ET for halloween when I was a kid!!

Posted by: Julia | Oct 19, 2008 9:19:07 PM

As an awesome six year old, my mom also hooked me up with this costume. 24 years later, I still have the mask in my "keep" box at her house. Good, good times.

Posted by: Joe Putnam | Oct 15, 2008 1:05:37 AM

I have been hunting for that same pattern. Found one on ebay, but got outbid. I'm an adult now, but would love to dress up as ET for Halloween. I have a retired teacher friend that could make it work. Can you or anyone out in internet land help me.

"ET phone home"

Sincerely,

Cindy

Posted by: Cindy | Oct 13, 2008 9:50:21 PM

That ET costume turned out better than the one shown on the pattern packaging. My mom made me a storm trooper costume one Halloween. It was pure awesome. My mom and I still reminisce about that one. I wish I had pictures.

Posted by: Guy | Oct 11, 2008 10:35:23 AM

you rock AND your mom rocks!
how cool.

Posted by: chuck | Oct 11, 2008 2:17:51 AM

See the last 10 days, or explore other parts of my site...

home | favorites | travel | photos | timeline | links | feeds | about | contact