a particular day

February 20, 2007

Leave Spoons at Home

2006 year end

My friend loves music.

In fact, the first time I met him years ago, we spent a good portion of lunch just jabbering about bands and shows. We still dish music and noise, and his influence should be evident in the tracks I note with recent journal entries. My taste is awful, but I have a few handfuls of excellent sources to keep me from of spinning grunge and shoegazer stuff from the 90’s.

So I look forward to his yearly mix of favorites with Pavlovian drool — lots for the music, but extra for the packaging.

I still listen to the double disc set from 2004 (and 2005, but I haven't made a page for that yet).

This year he got inspiration for the artwork from his grandmother's couch, using it as a texture on the outside and the CDs themselves.

Super purdy.

Now to wear out the CDs and tear out the shopping list.

PhotosPackaging + Track List

Current music: Kimya Dawson "12/26"

Filed in: Music |

« The day before | The Last 10 | The day after »

Comments

Nope Dan, It's all screenprinted.

Posted by: Chris Glass | Oct 24, 2007 9:18:07 PM

Chris,

Is the cap "A" letterpressed?

-Dan

Posted by: Dan | Oct 24, 2007 9:16:33 PM

Heck yeah: "Futura Bold"

The only font a fella needs.

Posted by: draplin | Feb 21, 2007 1:50:03 AM

He's most comfortable in print Brian, and he makes each one of these by hand. It's pretty amazing.

And Colleen, I feel your want and a bit of guilt for flaunting his work, but it's so darn good.

Posted by: Chris | Feb 20, 2007 10:12:30 PM

How much do I want to be on this mysterious mixmaster's recipient list? Oh, bad. Very, very bad...

Posted by: communicatrix | Feb 20, 2007 5:23:21 PM

Fantastic. I've been doing an annual mix'n'mail collection for only about 5 years now, and have used Jewelboxing as a solution.

This packaging puts everything to shame. Does he work in the printing industry or does he just spend a fortune getting them all produced? Yowsers...

Posted by: Brian Faust | Feb 20, 2007 2:14:22 PM

Don't feel any worse for the wear Johnny, I couldn't approach the levels of detail of his mad design skills either. My purpose is to appreciate.

Come visit Michelle!

And thank ya FreD! Link fixed.

Posted by: Chris | Feb 20, 2007 9:05:53 AM

404 on the link 'Scissor Sisters' at this page : http://chrisglass.com/friends/mix/2006/

Posted by: FreD | Feb 20, 2007 8:42:42 AM

I must become Tom's friend no matter what it takes. Please help with this cause. I must have those mix cds. They are fantastic.

Posted by: Michelle | Feb 20, 2007 8:41:37 AM

Wow, this amazing. I make my friend a mix CD every year but this just blows mine completely out of the water! Looks like I have to up the creativity and production values of mine.

Posted by: Johnny | Feb 20, 2007 1:51:05 AM